Alberto Contador asks Tour organizers whether team will be invited
Alberto Contador has asked Tour de France organizer A.S.O. if his Saxo-Tinkoff team will be invited to compete in the 2013 Tour de France.
The two-time champion was stripped of his 2010 Tour de France champion title for testing positive for clenbuterol. He missed last year's race while serving a ban.
The Spaniard said Thursday his request is "not a means of pressuring" organizers. But "we are waiting to see if we will be a World Tour team or not. If not, we'll need an invitation for the grand tours."
Contador says he needs at least two months to prepare for the Tour and is considering racing in only one grand tour next year.
He declined to comment on Lance Armstrong's doping case "until a certain time has passed."
See also related articles The WorldTour Points Shuffle and Alberto Contador Threatens to Boycott 2013 Tour de France .