Tyler Hamilton Diary

News & Results

03/13/2005| 0 comments
by Tyler Hamilton

Tyler Hamilton Diary

My hearing is over.

Colorado, USA: I seem to always want to start these web updates with an apology for not touching base in a while. Truth is, there isn?t much new to report on, except what you may already know.

My hearing is over. It took place between February 27 and March 2. From what I?m told, hearings generally take about a day or so. So mine was a long one. It took place in Denver inside a law office downtown.

Out of respect for the arbitration process and the arbitrators, I cannot comment on the specific details of the arbitration. But I can share with you what it felt like to go through the process.

My wife was able to accompany me through all of it, which I appreciated since she?s been a big help with trying to sort my case out. But other than her, most everyone else inside the hearing was either a witness or an appointed observer. The hearing was closed to the public.

The days were fairly long. We?d leave in the early morning hours so we could have breakfast with my lawyers and discuss the day ahead. Then we?d head into the proceedings which would last until about 5 or 6 PM each day. After that, we?d regroup with the legal team and our medical experts in the evening. So we were getting back to Boulder fairly late each night.

My parents flew out from Massachusetts to add a little support on the home front. They spent their days here taking care of the dogs and fielding phone calls from friends and family. It was great to have them around.

Normally a case closes when the hearing ends. However my case was fairly complicated given the amount of testimony provided. So, for a number of reasons, it is still officially open. Once it closes, the arbitrators will have ten days to write an opinion. It?s difficult to wait, but I appreciate that the panel is taking its time to evaluate all sides and give careful consideration to the testimony. There is an awful lot at stake.

Each of the days was long and taxing. I had never spent eight to nine hours at a clip inside an office before. I have a new found respect for the working warriors. And an added appreciation for being able to work outside. By the end of the hearing I was pale and kind of puffy from sitting around so much. It was the first time my wife actually told me I had to go get some exercise. I think my body was in shock from the inactivity.

So after the hearing ended, I invited my lawyers and medical experts to join me for a run up the canyon road to our house in Boulder. It?s a 6.8 mile stretch and about 2,500 feet of climbing. I?m happy to report everyone made it ? before dark. I think we all needed it. Haven and my parents had a recovery spread waiting for us upon our arrival. I hadn?t realized how


Your comments
Your comments
sign up or login to post a comment