Julian Dean Diary

News & Results

05/7/2004| 0 comments
by Carole Dean

Julian Dean Diary

Four days of Dunkerque - Stage 2.

Four Days of Dunkerque - Stage 2 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /?>

Where's All the Luck Gone???

Well guys, Julian?s dry spell of bad luck seriously ended today when he got caught up in a nasty crash barely 70km into the second stage. Guys went down in front of him and he had nowhere else to go except over the top. Somehow he managed to break both elbows and hit his head hard yet not have a graze on him or his bike. But I s?pose if anyone can manage that sort of crash, Julian can. Needless to say, he?s gutted. As am I. It never ceases to amaze me how much of a magnet to shite luck, my boy is. To be honest with ya, it pisses me off. Of course, initially I have my moment of bawling to myself and staring around our empty house just wishing I had someone to give me a hug and tell me it?s not as bad as it could be. Although that I do know already but those reassuring hugs sure do make a difference! Anyway, I?m over feeling sorry for myself and now I?m just feeling sorry for Julz and pissed off that this had to happen now. Just when he was gaining some confidence in his form and felt that he was ready to make some nice results? Why can?t things just roll along nicely for an entire season??? Could you imagine the damage he could do if he had smooth running from the start to finish of a season?

I knew something was up this arvo. He always calls me straight after the race to tell me how he did but today the afternoon hours passed me by without a single squeak out of my mobile. By half 6, I sent him a text but he didn?t reply. That was my cue to get worried. By about
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /?> he finally called and as soon as he said hello I knew he?d crashed. He had his crash voice on. The voice I dread hearing. He?d just got back from the hospital and both arms are in slings so initially we couldn?t talk for long ?coz someone had to hold the phone to his ear. Once he found his hands-free set, he called me back to fill me in on the details and luckily by then I had had my blubber and was back to my usually controlled-self when Julz has crap like this happen to him.


Thankfully, he isn?t as low mentally as I had expected. I think he?s kinda relieved it wasn?t a leg or two that he broke. God knows we?ve been there before and are in absolutely no hurry to have to go through that again. The doctors have said he has to be off the bike for 3-4 wks but I think we can wangle that down a bit. He?s got strong bones - thanks to his upbringing on full-cream milk from his parents? farm - and he?ll be able to train on the trainer and do leg work-outs at the gym.


Your comments
Your comments
sign up or login to post a comment