Alessandro Ballan no longer in intensive care
Ballan underwent surgery last Thursday night to remove his spleen and repair his broken left femur. The former road cycling world champion also broke a rib in the accident that occurred earlier that Thursday while descending the Coll de Rates climb near Parcent.
Speaking from his hospital bed, Ballan said achieving a small milestone in his recovery puts a smile on his face. "Every day I am getting better. Now it's easy." Ballan said in a team statement.
Ballan said he has been overwhelmed with the messages of encouragement he has received. "I am very happy because I have a lot of supporters, not only in Italy, but around the world. A lot of people are thinking of me in this moment and I am very happy and appreciative of all of them."
Team BMC Racing's Chief Medical Officer Dr. Max Testa said no timetable has yet been established for Ballan's release from hospital. "The doctors who are overseeing his care at the hospital saw enough improvement that he's been moved to a regular care room," Dr. Testa explained.
"What's good is that he continues to get better each day and there have been no complications from the surgeries." Ballan had been scheduled to start his 2014 season at the Santos Tour Down Under. BMC Racing Team Sports Director John Lelangue said Ivan Santaromita will replace him in the team's seven-rider roster for the Australian race in January.